Friday, December 21, 2007 AD

My Christmas Goose

My, but it's been a long time since someone made a drinking-related comment in these parts!

Anyhow, a couple years ago, I first discovered the Goose Island Beer Company and waxed poetic about Honker's Ale. I added it (and other G. I. offerings) to the Aardvark's Big Rotation O' Brew and Wine.

Goose Island Christmas AleThis year, a different brew finally made it to my rather primitive parts of planet Lutheran and I'm happy to tell you that I took the liberty of sampling Goose Island Christmas Ale on behalf of all our loyal reader(s?). According to the tag hanging from one of the bottles, "with each year the recipe changes slightly so there is something special to look forward to each season. Traditionally, it is a complex brown ale that develops well in the bottle for up to five years. (Emphasis theirs)"

Not wanting to blindly accept someone else's word about such an important topic, I bit the bullet, bought the six, and pledged myself to unbiased sampling. After tallying the results (and the final empty bottle), I must say that this year's brew lives up to its reputation. The one thing I can't fathom is anyone keeping this delicious ale away from his palate "for up to five years."

My only regret is not having tasted the ales of previous years in order to make a good comparison. DV, that shall not be a problem again.

Technorati Tags: | | | | | | | |

6 Comments:

Blogger TKls2myhrt said...

My family loves Goose Island Root Beer and their other flavored sodas as well. I'll have to pick up their Christmas brew today.

7:30 AM  
Blogger Orycteropus Afer said...

Send me some, TK. None of the distributors around here have any more in stock.

10:21 PM  
Blogger TKls2myhrt said...

I didn't get to the liquor store today and they are all closed on Sundays in Minnesota. I'll let you know if I find any on Monday.

10:41 PM  
Blogger Robert Elart Waters said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Robert Elart Waters said...

Honker's is a wonderful British-style bitter.

I've visited both Goose Island restaurant/pubs back home in Chicago; one is just down Clark Street from Wrigley Field. With the possible exception of its kolsch, "Summertime," I'm found of the whole line.

I especially like the Oatmeal Stout. Like most stouts, though, it's really best on draught. They do a number of stouts and porters at the brew pubs, and alternate what's on tap.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Elijah the Tishbite said...

I just now saw this post. Goose Island is maybe my favorite brewery because everything I've had by them is consistently full of flavor and excellent. My favorite is the IPA, but the Christmas Ale (I just drank the last of my December six-pack on Saturday [June 7]).

I have not yet tried the 312 Wheat (not a big fan of wheat beers); anybody had it?

Tim

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home