Saturday, April 21, 2007 AD

Beer in the Bible


Can I give the Aardvark one of his own Aardie's? I highlighted an older post, Beer in the Bible, from Ask the Pastor this week on my blog, Katie's Beer. The post was noticed by a website called Hop Talk. Be sure to visit and say hello!

The main reason I highlighted the post is for this amazing Luther quote, which struck me as a very clear illustration of the difference between works-based religion and grace-based faith in God through Jesus Christ. The quote is well- introduced by Pastor Snyder:

Since we Lutherans are often stereotyped as beer-lovers, it seems appropriate to examine Biblical precedent. After all, Martin Luther (probably only partially in jest) commented upon doing what he could, then having a brew and getting out of the Lord's way during the Reformation: “I opposed indulgences and all the papists, but never with force. I simply taught, preached, and wrote God’s Word; otherwise I did nothing. And while I slept [cf. Mark 4:26–29], or drank Wittenberg beer with my friends Philipp [Melanchthon] and [Nicholas] Amsdorf, the Word so greatly weakened the papacy that no prince or emperor ever inflicted such losses upon it. I did nothing; the Word did everything.”

1 Comments:

Blogger J. K. Jones said...

Is it okay for a Southern Baptist to crink beer?

I sure hope so...

Good post.

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home