Friday, March 03, 2006 AD

Mephistolese Imperial Stout ABV 15.1%

Here are the stats:

Type: Imperial Stout
Color: Black as the Abyss
Head: Amazingly large for a brew of this fortitude
ABV: 15.1%
IBU's: 107

I usually allow my wife to have the first sip because she doesn't have a scholarly palate and is basely objective. I was shocked when she said, "I like it." She also communicated that she didn't find it as strong as EKU 28. I was puzzled by this because EKU's ABV hovers around the 12th percentage mark. Anyway, the preliminary test was promising and so increased my anxiousness that I immediately took a swig.

I was immediately struck by the sweetness of the concoction. It is just a bit too sweet for my taste. However, the flavor of the malts, some of which have to be Crystal, make up for the overt sweetness. The distinct raisiny flavor of the Crystal malt is there as is the wonderful fragrance they exude. I think by the time I finish this glass I will believe it to be the greatest Imperial Stout I've ever imbibed whether it is true or not. How could it be any other way with a brew of this magnitude?

2 Comments:

Blogger The Terrible Swede said...

Welcome Kobra to the Motley Crue of Lutherans!

Good post. Never thought of allowing my wife try the first sip - sometimes Mrs. Swede wants to smell the beer and I take her input.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Robert Elart Waters said...

I'm a major fan of dark beers. Imperial stouts in particular.

Tried Samuel Smiths?

Tonight I had an interesting experience worth sharing, BTW. We went to a local German essenhaus and, along with my wilde schweinwurst, I had swei schartzbieren.

They rocked. German black beer- lighter than Guinness, but apparently with a higher alcohol content. Good taste. Somewhat bitter, but smooth and went down well.

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home