Wednesday, October 19, 2005 AD

In some lands...

I don't know if this counts as "misadventure" enough, so let me know. But I thought it was definitely interesting (and disturbing information) that should be shared.

So my Pastor and I, following choir rehearsal, decided to step out for some dinner and a beer, as us Lutherans tend to do from time to time. We had intended on going to the German restaurant in the city (Schnitzelbank) but it closes early like everything in West Michigan (boo). Instead we went to another place and had some Bells Oberon (Kalamazoo, MI) which isn't half bad at all. That's all fine and good. Here's the strange part:

I mentioned these plans to some of my friends, who were mostly curious what i was doing Tuesday night. They were shocked! Now this new information I'm about to disclose might horrify most of you, so I strongly encourage you to cover the eyes of your children, and if you have a weak stomach, please turn away! Apparently, from what I've come to understand, some people are under the impression that Pastors don't drink beer! I came to learn that I'm the only one of my fellow organists to be lucky enough to have a Pastor I could have a brew with. From the stories they tell me about their churches, it sounds as if they could probably use a drink after that mess...

How you could have a Pastor without beer is beyond me, personally. I always remained under the impression that it was more important to go to the bar on Friday nights than to go to class when you were a Seminary student. I mean... how else are you going to find a pastors wife: one of the pre-requisites for an M.Div. Plus, I imagined there must be some kind of beer drinking contest to see who's really fit for ministry or not. It made sense to me at least.

I should note that everyone here is Dutch.... which explains most of their strange and ungodly ways. On the other hand, the New Holland Brewing company makes some really nice microbrews, and tonight IS stein night. But if you can't share it, what's the point? *grumble grumble*dutch*grumble grumble*

6 Comments:

Blogger The Terrible Swede said...

Welcome Sean. Good intro post!

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Say this to them thar' Dutch people next time you see 'em:

Stomme nederlandse koo! (which of course is "stupid ducth cow". That might not seem very strong to us, but to a Nederlander, 'dems fightin' words.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

those wooden shoes pack a whollop though... I'll keep it in mind though ;)

6:55 PM  
Blogger TKls2myhrt said...

Great post! So the reason my hubby isn't a pastor is because we met walking to church?

11:01 AM  
Blogger Orycteropus Afer said...

Things got messed up when I posted the wrong url last night and then attempted to make another comment. So please make sure that Sean knows that he received an Aardie for this post.

OA+

9:54 AM  
Blogger The Terrible Swede said...

Done, sir. Congratulations to Sean! Bool-yah!

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home